Health Services

Birth Certificate Information (CRBA)

​We are happy to assist and let you know to go to the following website that will help you with your process to request a copy of your birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please visit:

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

To request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad form (FS-240), you must submit:

1. A notarized request that includes all of the following information:

  • Full name of the individual at birth

  • Any adoptive names of the individual

  • Individual's date and place of birth

  • Any available passport information (e.g. passport date of issuance, date of expiration, passport number) •Full names of parents or legal guardians

  • If known, the serial number of the FS-240

  • Signature of requester

  • Legal Guardian(s) Only: A copy of the court order granting guardianship

  • Requester's mailing address

  • Requester's contact number

2. A copy of requester’s valid photo ID. Examples:

  • State-issued driver’s license

  • Non-driver photo ID

  • Military ID

  • Passport

  • Veterans Affairs ID

  • Prison ID

         If you don't have any of these IDs, please see Passport Vital Records IDs.

3. Payment

  • A $50.00 check or money order

  • Make payable to "U.S. Department of State"

  • Include complete mailing address on the check

  • The Department is not responsible for cash lost in the mail

4. Mail the request, copy of the photo ID, and payment to:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA  20166-1213


  • USPS First Class Mail: One to two weeks. No additional cost.

  • 1-2 Day Delivery: Add $15.89 to the $50 check or money order.

Please do not include a pre-paid express mail envelope with your request. This will cause a delay in delivery.

Processing Times

The processing time to receive your Consular Report of Birth Aboard is four to eight weeks. If you don't provide all the items listed above, your request for the CRBA will be delayed.

5. After submission

To check the status of your request, call 202-485-8300.

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here